We need your help TODAY!
The Alaska Dept of Regulations has submitted proposed changes that would limit the scope of practice for naturopathic doctors in the State of Alaska. This would limit NDs' ability to "prescribe" many dietary supplements that are the basis of many treatment plans. This is a giant leap backwards and we need to let the Department of Regulations know how we feel.
Myofascial Trigger Point Demystified
What the heck are myofascial trigger points, what do they do, how do you get them, and what can you do about them?
What it is?
• Myo – Prefix denoting a relationship to muscle.
• Fascia – A sheet of connective tissue that connects every cell, tissue, and structure in the body. It is in and around every muscle, bone, organ, and nerve. This is the shiny white fiber you see when you pull the skin away from chicken. It supports, stabilizes, and cushions the body. It separates the vessels, organs, bones, and muscles.
• Trigger Point – Hyperirritable spots in the muscle that are associated with nodules in a taut band of muscle fiber.
What do they do?
• Cause Pain
• Restricted or Distorted ROM (range of motion)
• Muscle Weakness
• Mimic other Diagnosed Pain Syndromes (ex: carpal tunnel, sciatica, bursitis, headache)
How do you get them? (Short List)
• Direct Trauma
• Repetitive Motion
• Lack of Movement
• Other Trigger Points
Please make sure to receive treatments from a Board Certified Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist. They can be found at http://www.myofascialtherapy.org/find-a-therapist/index.html
Avante has three myofascial triggerpoint therapists here to help you feel your best. Call to schedule an appointment today!
Acupuncture and Oriental medicine can be great tools to help support the immune system this Fall. Beat that cold off before it even begins. By tonfiying the Lung and Kidney qi you can boost your energy and immune system before going into the winter. Also, supporting the body with warming herbs and acupuncture can promote better circulation, energy and quality rest.
Call Avante to schedule your appointment with Tina Jess, LAc today!
For more information on acupuncture and your immune system, read the article found below:
Burst training! Ever heard of it?
It’s a series of quick high intensity “all out” exercise followed by a short recovery period. This style of workout has long been a part of the elite athlete training schedule and has just recently become more popular for “the rest of us” recreational athletes. It usually entails some sort of anaerobic burst activity for 30-90 seconds with about a minute of rest, repeated 10 or more times.
Avante Medical Center is very excited to announce the return of Christine Sagan, ANP who has been on maternity leave after giving birth to her son in June.
Escher Sagan was born on June 22nd at home. He is healthy, happy and growing fast and has brought joy to many lives. You may see him at Avante when he comes to visit Christine during her breaks.